Gelatinized Premium Red Maca
Our Gelatinized Premium Red Maca powder is made from 100% Red Maca roots. Instead of being sundried, these roots are fresh processed immediately after harvest. After coming out of the ground they are cleaned in a citrus solution, ground into a pulp and low temperature dried. This special processing leaves more glucosinolates in the final product. After these roots are dried they are then “gelatinized.” Gelatinization is a process in which Maca is heated to high temperatures (160F / 70C). The heat causes the starch molecules in Maca to irreversibly dissolve and the result is a powder that has had some of its nutrients compromised but is easier to digest than raw Maca. It’s important to note that nothing is added to Maca during the gelatinization process.
The advantages of using Gelatinized Maca are:
- Easier digestion - because the starch is removed
- More concentrated nutrients - the absence of starch means that gram for gram, Gelatinized Maca is more concentrated than Raw Maca
The disadvantage of using Gelatinized Maca is:
- Loss of some nutrients including enzymes and Vitamin C due to the heat used in gelatinization
Is Gelatinized Maca right for you?
If you have a sensitive stomach or any other issue with digestion, then Gelatinized Maca is the best choice for you. The reason is simple. While Raw Maca can cause temporary symptoms like bloating, gas or upset stomach (in about 5% of people), Gelatinized Maca simply will not do so. Our customers report similar benefits from Gelatinized and Raw Maca powders, so if you are unsure, Gelatinized Maca may be a better choice for you.
Gelatinized Premium Red Maca:
- Comes from a modern approach to processing Maca developed in the past 25 years
- Is fresh Processed - Maca roots are dried in dehydrators immediately after harvest
- Has higher Glucosinolate Content - nutrients which may help prevent cancer
- Is Much stronger tasting - has a more noticeable Maca flavor with more spiciness
- Is limited in supply since it must be produced from fresh roots during annual harvest (June-August)
- Costs more as the process is more labor and equipment intensive
Red Maca has been found to have several differences to other colors of Maca:
- Red Maca powder has been shown, under phytonutrient analysis, to be higher in certain compounds that support the body in antioxidant and antitumoral activity.
- It has also been shown among all Macas to contain somewhat higher levels of other pythonutrients including alkaloids, tannins, saponis and steroids.
- Another significant difference of Red Maca and Yellow and Black Macas is the taste. Most people find the taste to be sweeter, gentler and more mild.
- A study on Red Maca was published in the Journal Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology 2005; 3:5. In it 8 medical researchers report that over the course of 42 days: “Red Maca but neither Yellow nor Black Maca reduced significantly ventral prostate size in rats.“
- In 2010 researchers from the Universidad Peruana, Lima published a study on the effects of Maca on bone structure in rats that had had their ovaries removed. The study concluded that both Red and Black Maca supported bone strength and density among the test subjects. Read more research on Red Maca here
Based on this research and our experience we recommend Red Maca for:
- For men looking to use Maca for prostate support
- For women's fertility and libido (We recommend Black Maca for male fertility)
- For bone density - most important for women and children
- For everyone wanting to experience the highest antioxidant and nutrient levels of all Maca powders
- For everyone just starting with Maca (including children) due to the sweeter, more pleasant taste
Our Gelatinized Premium Red Maca Root Powder is:
- Certified Organic
- Fair Trade
- Grown traditionally with respect for the land - near Junin, Peru
- Fresh processed and packaged immediately
- Made from 100% Red Maca roots
- 4:1 product – 4 KG of fresh roots to make 1 KG of Maca powder
We sell Gelatinized Premium Red Maca Root Powder in 3 sizes (Servings based on 3 tsp or 9 g daily)
- 8 oz (25 servings – 75 tsp)
- 16 oz (50 servings – 150 tsp)
- 1 KG - 35 oz (111 servings – 333 tsp) - best value!
In Vegan Capsules (Serving based on 7 capsules daily)
- 750 mg each, 200 ct (28 servings)
Why choose us?
We are a small family run company with our entire focus on Maca. Our only mission is to provide our customers with fresh, organic, high quality Maca products from Peru at fair prices. Because of our single-minded dedication, we are able to provide the best selection of high quality Maca products anywhere. We also take pride in expert, friendly customer service. When you order with us you can count on fast shipping and full support with any issues or questions. The bottom line is that we use the products we sell and we treat our customers like we want to be treated. Let us know if we can help with anything.
Enjoy the day!
Compare all our Maca products here.
Certified Organic Gelatinized Premium Red Maca Root Powder - Fair Trade, GMO-Free