Maca for Energy
Maca Energy – The History and Tradition
We know that Maca root has been used to boost energy for several thousand years. Although the first written reference to the simple root comes from 1553 in a chronicle of the Spanish conquest of the Andes, oral traditions confirm that the root has long been valued as a nutritional supplement, a fertility enhancer for both animals and humans and an energizer. Maca’s potency was so valued to the inhabitants of high altitudes in the Andes that it was often used as a currency for trade. In addition, warriors, both Incan and Spanish consumed large amounts of Maca root before going into battle in order to increase their energy, prowess and recovery time. In more recent times, Maca’s energy boosting properties are one of the major reasons it’s become one of Peru’s top agricultural exports.
What Does Science Say About Maca and Increased Energy?
Since the late 1990′s many studies have been done on Maca. A good number of them have been focused on Maca’s ability to increase fertility and libido. There have just been a few that have focused on Maca and energy. But the results have been impressive.
- In 2009 5 researchers from Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne published a study performed on athletes. One group of athletes was given Maca powder for 14 days while another group was given a placebo. At the end of the two weeks, they all completed a 40 km cycling course. When times were compared to previous bests on the same course, researchers discovered that the group taking Maca significantly reduced their times while the placebo group remained the same. The researches concluded that the promising results suggest the need for longer and more clinical studies on Maca for energy.
- Another study in 2001 found that Maca increased the energy and the sexual performance of male rats, making them both more able to reproduce and to sustain physical activity longer and more consistently.
- A self perception study performed in 2006 by G.E. Gonzalez showed that Maca acted as an energizer compared with placebo in otherwise healthy men.
- Finally, a study from 2004 in Australia revealed that Maca powder, at a dosage of 3-5 grams per day, reduces psychological symptoms, including anxiety and depression, and lowers measures of sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women independent of estrogenic and androgenic activity.
How Does Maca Work To Boost Energy?
Maca is very different from other types of energizers on the market. It contains no caffeine, no processed sugar and no pharmaceutical energy enhancers. What that means is that Maca boosts your energy in a balanced and sustained manner and that it never stresses your adrenal glands like the aforementioned energy enhancers.
There are several things Maca does to boost your energy:
- Maca is a nutritional powerhouse. Maca root contains 10.5% protein, 8.5% fiber, 19 essential amino acids, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C and D, minerals iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, sodium, potassium, calcium, several glucosinolates, 20 free fatty acids, and unique compounds called macaenes and macamides. Click here to see the full Maca Nutrition Facts
- Maca is an Adaptogen. Adaptogens are very rare plants (another example is ginseng) that raise the physical body’s state of resistance to diseases through physiological and emotional health improvements. Adaptogens have a normalizing effect, i.e. counteracting or preventing disturbances to homeostasis brought about by stressors. Moreover, they offer a broad range of therapeutic effects without causing any major side effects.
- Maca balances hormones in men and women. One of the very great things about Peruvian Maca root is that it is not “gender specific” and works equally well for both men and women in terms of achieving hormone balance. Sustained and elevated energy is a result of a positive balance of hormones.
Maca As an Energizer – from some of our customers
There is no doubt that Maca is working to energize people’s life naturally and healthfully everyday. The history shows it, the science shows it and comments from our customers show it. Here are a couple:
“After only a few days of taking Maca, I had to work two double shifts at work. Usually, after the first I am really tired. I noticed that I sailed right through this without any fatigue. I thought for sure I would be wiped out after the second shift. But I was amazed that after very little sleep in three days I felt great!” – L. W. – Norristown, PA
” I am pleased to report that after 2 and a half weeks taking MACA, i ran the most effortless TC 10K run in 10 years without any training (I use this one run a year as a benchmark for my fitness), took almost a minute and a half off last years run and have almost returned to my pace of 10 years ago.” – Rodney, Whangarei, New Zealand
Which Maca is Best for Energy Boosting
In our experience Red Maca is great because it’s the highest in phytonutrient content of all Maca colors. Black Maca is also very good and for men it’s probably the best as it also has been shown to boost libido and sperm count in males.
If you have any questions please let us know we're happy to help
Enjoy the day!