Maca for Fertility
While its potential health benefits may be numerous, using Maca root powder for fertility is one of its best-known and scientifically researched traits. Our high-quality Maca is 100% organic and suitable for helping to improve hormonal balance in both men and women. We offer serveral types of maca colors and presentations in our store. Find out here which ones are best for fertility, learn more about the benefits of Maca below and discover how this nutrient-dense root can help regulate your body naturally and improve your fertility.
How to Use Maca for Fertility
One of the most common questions we get is from men and women who have heard about using maca for fertility and reproductive health. Judging from these questions, there’s a good deal of misinformation out there regarding how to use maca to increase your chances of having a child. That’s why we decided to put this comprehensive article together.
How Using Maca For Fertility Was Discovered
Maca (Lepidium meyenii) is a root vegetable that grows high in the Andes mountains. It is in fact the world’s highest growing food crop and has grown there naturally for thousands of years. The story of Maca and fertility starts when Incan farmers noticed how feeding maca plant roots to their livestock made them stronger and healthier. With consistent maca feeding, the farmers also saw that their animals had more and healthier babies.
It wasn’t long after that people started using maca to increase their own chances of conceiving. Natives of the Andes have long used maca for fertility purposes – and with good success. So much success in fact that it was maca’s fertility enhancing properties that first attracted North American and European researchers, doctors, and other medical professionals to start using this superfood in the 1980s and 1990s.
How Maca Helps Both Male and Female Fertility
Maca is one of a few herbs that are believed to be “adaptogens.” When incorporated into someone’s diet, these special kinds of herbs adapt to a variety of conditions within a given body and help restore it to a healthy balance for improved wellness. Maca in particular works on the endocrine system to balance and regulate hormone levels in both men and women.
Scientific studies, some of which are referenced below, have found that the effects of using black maca root powder boosts sperm production in men and even increases sperm activity. Similar studies show that females given maca experience an increased regularity in their cycles every month and easier ovulation. Another result of taking maca is a marked increase in libido for both men and women.
In addition to improving one’s hormonal balance, taking maca also provides excellent nutritional support. Maca is rich in amino acids, phytonutrients, fatty acids, vitamin and minerals. See full Maca Nutrition Facts here. Both men and women who follow a balanced diet and are properly nourished, greatly increase the likelihood of conceiving a healthy child.
How To Use Maca For Fertility – A Complete Guide
If you do decide to use maca supplements or powder for fertility purposes, there are several things that you should do and keep in mind in order to maximize your success.
- Use only high quality, fresh, certified organic maca powder or supplements. Unfortunately, there are many inferior products on the market that are made from chemically grown maca or from old maca roots that have lost their potency and ability to help with fertility.
- Use the right amount of maca. Using maca for fertility is considered to be a therapeutic usage and therefore you need to take a therapeutic dosage consistently and regularly. Our full dosage guidelines are here.
- Both partners should use maca. For maximum efficacy, you and your partner should both be taking maca. Maca is safe and comes with a number of other benefits, so it should be easy to convince him/her to do so.
- Women should consider using red maca for fertility. It is the best maca root powder for female fertility, hormone balance, and ovulation, and it is the most nutritionally dense.
- Men should use black maca for their fertility. Black maca has been shown to increase sperm count and sperm motility.
- Try cleansing and detoxing too. Completing a thorough cleansing program will help you get more out of your maca. That’s because a good detox will cleanse your intestines and allow more nutrients to be absorbed by your body.
- Consider getting this natural fertility resource. In addition to taking maca there are many things you can do to increase your chances of a natural conception. The best resource we’ve seen is called Pregnancy Miracle. It’s jam packed with natural fertility and health strategies (including taking maca for fertility!)
Some Success Stories
Here are some couples who’ve reported having success using maca for fertility.
"We tried a lot of things to get pregnant before we learned about peruvian Maca in a book on natural fertility. My husband and I started taking it religiously after that. I got pregnant 6 months later and I’m sure the maca helped." Jennifer and Ray Collins, Washington
"I believe that Maca helped us to conceive naturally when conventional fertility treatments failed. I now have a happy & healthy baby." Rachel.W, United Kingdom
"My wife and I were together for 7 years before we conceived. The only thing we did differently prior to that was to complete a round of serious detox and to start taking Maca. I'm convinced that Maca played an important part in getting pregnant." Matt Leonard
Scientific Studies on Maca and Fertility
- Gonzales, G. F., et al. “Effect of Black maca (Lepidium meyenii) on one spermatogenic cycle in rats.” Andrologia. 2006 Oct; 38(5): 166-72.
- Bustos-Obregon, E., et al. “Lepidium meyenii (Maca) reduces spermatogenic damage induced by a single dose of malathion in mice.” Asian J. Androl. 2005 Mar; 7(1): 71-6.
- Ruiz-Luna, A.C., et al. “Lepidium meyenii (Maca) increases litter size in normal adult female mice.” Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2005 May; 3(1): 16.
- Gonzales, C., et al. “Effect of short-term and long-term treatments with three ecotypes of Lepidium meyenii (MACA) on spermatogenesis in rats.” J. Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Feb 20; 103(3): 448-54.
- Gonzales, G. F., et al. “Effect of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on spermatogenesis in male rats acutely exposed to high altitude (4340 m).” J. Endocrinol. 2004; 180(1): 87-95.
If you are looking to increase your chances of getting pregnant naturally and regulate your hormones, without invasive surgical procedures, maca is certainly the supplement to try. Adding maca to any fertility program or strategy can only help your overall health and chances of conceiving a child.
We hope this article helps and if you have any questions please let us know.
Enjoy the day!