Raw Red Maca Overview
Raw Red Maca Further Info
Our raw red maca products are made from 100% light red to deep colored maca roots. Red maca accounts for just about 25% of the annual maca harvest and has long been prized in the high Andes mountains. Traditionally, Red maca roots were not separated from yellow and black maca roots and all root colors were eaten together. But once it became clear that red naca has some specific properties in the 1990s, producers began offering it separate from the other maca colors.
Red maca has been found to have several differences to other colors of maca:
- Red maca powder has been shown, under phytonutrient analysis, to be higher in certain compounds that support the body in antioxidant and antitumoral activity
- It has also been shown among all macas to contain somewhat higher levels of other pythonutrients including alkaloids, tannins, saponis and steroids
- Another significant difference of red maca is the taste. Most people find the taste to be sweeter, gentler and milder
- A study on red maca was published in the Journal Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology 2005; 3:5. In it 8 medical researchers report that over the course of 42 days: “Red maca but neither yellow nor black maca reduced significantly ventral prostate size in rats“
- In 2010 researchers from the Universidad Peruana, Lima published a study on the effects of Maca on bone structure in rats that had had their ovaries removed. The study concluded that both red and black maca supported bone strength and density among the test subjects.
Based on this research and our experience we recommend red maca for:
- For men looking to use Maca for prostate support For women's fertility and libido (We recommend black maca for male fertility)
- For bone density - most important for women and children
- For everyone wanting to experience the highest antioxidant and nutrient levels of all maca powders
- For anyone interested in a sweeter tasting maca
Our raw red maca root powder is:
- Certified Organic
- Fair Trade
- Never heated over 105F / 40C
- Grown traditionally with respect for the land - near Junin, Peru
- Sun dried, carefully processed and packaged immediately
- 100% Raw and Vegan Made from 100% Red Maca roots
Raw red maca root powder in 3 sizes -servings based on 3 tsp or 9 g daily
- 8 oz (25 servings – 75 tsp) 1
- 6 oz (50 servings – 150 tsp)
- 1 KG - 35 oz (111 servings – 333 tsp) - best value!
In vegan capsules - serving based on 8 capsules daily
And in liquid extract - serving based on ¼ tsp or 2 droppers full daily
Some common questions we receive about raw organic red maca
Why is raw red maca the sweetest tasting of all maca colors?
This is actually a fantastic question and one that we wish we had a better answer to. Nutritionally speaking, red maca is nearly identical to other colors of quality organic maca. It does contain slightly more fructose sugars, but not enough to be significant to show up on a label. We put its sweeter taste down to this difference.
Is raw red maca more potent than gelatinized?
Overall raw red maca is slightly more potent as it has all of its enzymes and other nutrients,including vitamin C, left intact. But since gelatinized maca root products are more concentrated the difference is not all that significant. In other words, people benefit from both raw and gelatinized forms.
How will I know if red maca is working for me?
The health benefits of raw red maca will start to show up for most people within 3-4 weeks of consistent usage. For some people the differences they notice are very visible. For example, hormone related acne may start to disappear when using this simple root vegetable. While for others differences may be more subtle. We’ve seen that maintaining maca as a part of your lifestyle over time leads to various positive gains. For that reason, many people find it helpfult to supplment raw red maca powder with a maca extract. Using the extract is easy and can be done several times a day.
Is red maca only for women?
No, not at all. Maca contains no hormones. Instead it stimulates the body to balance hormones on its own. While we typically recommend red maca for women, men can and do take it. For example, men interested in prostate health are best served with red maca as it is the only one to show positive effects in scientific research done on this area.
How is red maca different from black maca and yellow maca?
In short, red maca is sweeter tasting, has somewhat more phytonutrients and works particularly well for hormone balance in women. We have an extensive answer to this question on our main red maca page. (LINK)
Why is red maca sometimes called peruvian ginseng?
Great question here. Like the famous chinese herb, maca is considered an adaptogen, which is a rare type of food that is thought to raise overall vitality or life force energy.
Remember with The Maca Team, you can always count on certified organic, fair trade, fresh harvest Peruvian maca products. If you have any questions please let us know.
Enjoy the day!