Raw Red Maca
Raw Red Maca Additional Information
Our organic raw red maca products are made from 100% red maca roots. Red maca accounts for about 25% of the annual maca harvest and has long been prized in the high Andes mountains. Traditionally, red maca roots were not separated from yellow and black maca roots and all root colors were eaten together. But once it became clear that red maca has some specific properties in the 1990s, producers began offering it separate from the other maca colors.
Red maca has been found to have several differences to other colors of maca:
- Red maca powder has been shown, under phytonutrient analysis, to be higher in certain compounds that support the body in antioxidant and antitumoral activity
- It has also been shown among all macas to contain somewhat higher levels of other pythonutrients including alkaloids, tannins, saponis and steroids
- Another significant difference of red maca is the taste. Most people find the taste to be sweeter, gentler and milder
- A study on red maca was published in the Journal Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology 2005; 3:5. In it 8 medical researchers report that over the course of 42 days: “Red maca but neither yellow nor black maca reduced significantly ventral prostate size in rats“
- In 2010 researchers from the Universidad Peruana, Lima published a study on the effects of Maca on bone structure in rats that had had their ovaries removed. The study concluded that both red and black maca were great natural bone health supplements that supported bone strength and density among the test subjects.
Read more on red maca benefits
Based on this research and our experience we recommend red maca for:
- For men looking to use Maca for prostate support
- For women's fertility and libido (We recommend black maca for male fertility)
- For bone density - most important for women and children
- For everyone wanting to experience the highest antioxidant and nutrient levels of all maca powders
- For anyone interested in a sweeter tasting maca
Our raw red maca root products are:
- Certified Organic
- Fair Trade
- Never heated over 105F / 40C
- Grown traditionally with respect for the land - near Junin, Peru
- Sun dried, carefully processed and packaged immediately
- 100% Raw and Vegan
- Made from 100% Red Maca roots
Powders are the least expensive and most versatile way to add maca to your diet. Our maca powders are ground extremely fine and quickly dissolve in liquid when using a blender or a shaker jar. Raw red maca root powder may also be used in recipes and smoothies.
We’re proud to control the production of our all of our maca capsules. We do that so we can be sure that our capsules contain only 100% pure maca powder and nothing else. Our capsules are vegan and a great choice for convenience.
Red maca extract contains the major nutrients of red maca in a liquid vegetable glycerin base. To get the best out of using our extracts, simply hold a couple of droppers full under your tongue for 30 seconds. This transports maca’s nutrients into your blood stream very quickly. The extract bottle is small and easy to take with you on the go. You may enjoy our extracts alone, or take them alongside capsules or powders.
Some common questions we receive about raw organic red maca
Why is raw red maca the sweetest tasting of all maca colors?
This is actually a fantastic question and one that we wish we had a better answer to. Nutritionally speaking, red maca is nearly identical to other colors of quality organic maca. It does contain slightly more fructose sugars, but not enough to be significant to show up on a label. We put its sweeter taste down to this difference.
Is raw red maca more potent than gelatinized?
Overall raw red maca is slightly more potent as it has all of its enzymes and other nutrients, including vitamin C, left intact. But since gelatinized maca root products are more concentrated the difference is not all that significant. People benefit from both raw and gelatinized forms. It’s really a personal preference.
How will I know if red maca is working for me?
The health benefits of raw red maca will start to show up for most people within 3-4 weeks of consistent usage. For some people the differences they notice are very visible. For example, hormone related acne may start to disappear when using this simple root vegetable. For others differences may be more subtle. We’ve seen that maintaining maca as a part of your lifestyle over time leads to various positive gains. For that reason, many people find it helpful to supplement raw red maca powder with a maca extract. Using the extract is easy and can be done several times a day.
Is red maca only for women?
No, not at all. Maca contains no hormones. Instead it stimulates the body to balance hormones on its own. While we typically recommend red maca for women, men can and do take it. For example, men interested in prostate health are best served with red maca as it is the only one to show positive effects in scientific research done on this area.
How is red maca different from black maca and yellow maca?
In short, red maca is sweeter tasting, has somewhat more phytonutrients and works particularly well for hormone balance in women.
Why is red maca sometimes called peruvian ginseng?
Great question here. Like the famous Chinese herb, maca is considered an adaptogen, which is a rare type of food that is thought to raise overall vitality or life force energy.
Remember with The Maca Team, you can always count on certified organic, fair trade, fresh harvest Peruvian maca products.