Gelatinized Red Maca Overview
Gelatinized Red Maca Further Info
Our gelatinized red maca products are made from 100% Red Maca roots. After these roots are harvested, they are dried in the mountain sun for 10-40 days and then “gelatinized.” Gelatinization is a process in which maca is heated to high temperatures (160F / 70C). The heat causes the starch molecules in maca to irreversibly dissolve and the result is a powder that has had some of its nutrients compromised but is easier to digest than raw maca. It’s important to note that nothing is added to maca during the gelatinization process
The advantages of using gelatinized maca are:
- Easier digestion - because the starch is removed
- More concentrated nutrients - the absence of starch means that gram for gram, Gelatinized Maca is more concentrated than Raw Maca
The disadvantage of using gelatinized maca is:
- Loss of some nutrients including enzymes and Vitamin C due to the heat used in gelatinization
Is gelatinized maca right for you?
If you have a sensitive stomach or any other issue with digestion, then Gelatinized Maca is the best choice for you. The reason is simple. While Raw Maca can cause temporary symptoms like bloating, gas or upset stomach (in about 5% of people), Gelatinized Maca simply will not do so. Our customers report similar benefits from Gelatinized and Raw Maca powders, so if you are unsure, Gelatinized Maca may be a better choice for you.
Red maca has been found to have several differences to other colors of maca:
- Red maca powder has been shown, under phytonutrient analysis, to be higher in certain compounds that support the body in antioxidant and antitumoral activity
- It has also been shown among all macas to contain somewhat higher levels of other pythonutrients including alkaloids, tannins, saponis and steroids
- Another significant difference of red maca is the taste. Most people find the taste to be sweeter, gentler and milder
- A study on red maca was published in the Journal Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology 2005; 3:5. In it 8 medical researchers report that over the course of 42 days: “Red maca but neither yellow nor black maca reduced significantly ventral prostate size in rats“
- In 2010 researchers from the Universidad Peruana, Lima published a study on the effects of Maca on bone structure in rats that had had their ovaries removed. The study concluded that both red and black maca supported bone strength and density among the test subjects.
Based on this research and our experience we recommend red maca for:
- For men looking to use Maca for prostate support For women's fertility and libido (We recommend black maca for male fertility)
- For bone density - most important for women and children
- For everyone wanting to experience the highest antioxidant and nutrient levels of all maca powders
- For anyone interested in a sweeter tasting maca
Our raw red maca root powder is:
- Certified Organic
- Fair Trade
- Never heated over 105F / 40C
- Grown traditionally with respect for the land - near Junin, Peru
- Sun dried, carefully processed and packaged immediately
- 100% Raw and Vegan Made from 100% Red Maca roots
Raw red maca root powder in 3 sizes -servings based on 3 tsp or 9 g daily
- 8 oz (25 servings – 75 tsp) 1
- 6 oz (50 servings – 150 tsp)
- 1 KG - 35 oz (111 servings – 333 tsp) - best value!
And In vegan capsules - serving based on 8 capsules daily
Here are a some questions we often receive about gelatinized red maca.
Is gelatinized red maca better than raw maca?
This is a really common question that we answer frequently. Overall, both gelatinized and raw maca work well. Due to higher enzyme content and vitamin C content the raw version has a slight edge in our opinion. The great thing is that when you are using a quality organic maca product that is grown and produced carefully and traditionally you simply can’t go wrong.
What is gelatnization anyway?
That’s a great question. Gelatinization is a process in which maca roots are heated to about 160 F/ 70 C. During this process the starch granules within the roots swell and absorb water. This produces a gel like substance that is then removed from the maca powder.
Can gelatinized red maca help with my energy levels?
While there is certainly no guarantee regarding potential health benefits when taking any types of maca supplements, we have seen that a majority of our customers report feeling better and experiencing more energy after several weeks of adding maca to their diets.
How long before I start to feel the effects of maca?
When using peruvian maca it's important to be patient. Maca does work in the body to balance hormone levels, but it's a process that takes time and consistency. Our recommendation is to enjoy 1-3 teaspoons of maca powder, 2-8 maca capsules, or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of maca extract every day. Taking this much maca daily over several weeks will give you the best chance fo feeling the postive effects that you are hoping to acheive with maca root powder.
Remember with The Maca Team, you can always count on certified organic, fair trade, fresh harvest Peruvian maca products. If you have any questions please let us know.
Enjoy the day!