We’ve done the footwork of collecting our favorite tried-and-true maca recipes for you, in addition to some sent in by happy customers. There are all kinds of ways to enjoy maca, and we love to share them! Some people call maca an “acquired taste,” and certainly its distinct flavor can be a little difficult for some prospective consumers to enjoy. There’s no need to avoid maca altogether, though. If you’ve got a sweet tooth, these recipes are a great way to work our organic, non-GMO, Fair Trade maca into your diet. They’re delicious, and good for you besides! What more do you need?
Why Add Maca To Your Diet?
We can’t talk enough about the health benefits people who take maca have reported. It’s been consumed for hundreds of years in the Andes of Peru, where it’s associated with improvements in libido, fertility, and energy. Modern-day research has uncovered links between the consumption of maca and these aforementioned perks. Studies have found that taking maca can contribute towards higher virility, increases in energy, and sharpened mental focus and acuity. Athletes have credited it with boosting their performance, and the Peruvian government regulates the export of maca root in order to preserve the integrity of its national superfood. Convinced? Let’s look at some ways for you to enjoy your maca!
Choose Your Maca
Our handy Maca Finder tool can help you identify the best maca product for you. The most economical option is our raw or premium maca powder, which can be ordered in a variety of sizes. The best way to enjoy this maca is simply to mix it into your food or beverage of choice, whether it’s your morning coffee or a post-workout smoothie. The drawbacks? As mentioned above, some people don’t really care for the taste of maca.
Luckily, there are still plenty of options for you. Take a look at our liquid maca extracts, which yield a milder maca flavor and are quick and easy to add to dishes and drinks. There are also our vegan maca capsules, allowing you to take your daily dose of maca mess-free without having to taste the 100% pure maca powder itself.
If you’re still having difficulty deciding, consider ordering one of our maca samplers! It’s a good way to test out the different formulations and find the right maca for you.
Sweet Maca Recipes
These recipes for sweet maca food and drinks have either been tested by The Maca Team, or been sent in by happy maca buyers. We know you’ll enjoy them!
Mini Chocolate Maca Cake
This heavenly chocolate cake is delicious and healthy, so you don’t have to feel guilty about indulging in this dessert! Along with the added energy-boosting maca, it’s gluten free and vegan.
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1/2 tsp The Maca Team Maca Powder of your choice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 356 F. Mix the flour, Cacao, Maca, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Add in the remaining wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer ingredients into a ramekin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the center has cooked through.
- Note: cooking time will depend on the size of the ramekin. To check if cooked, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake. If the skewer comes out clean and dry, then the cake is done.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Iced Maca Mocha Frappe
This easy iced maca mocha frappe recipe is from Brianne Grogan of Fem Fusion Fitness.
- 1/2 cup brewed and cooled coffee
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 large, plump pitted Medjool date (or 2 tsp honey)*
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I love Vitacost’s raw cacao powder)
- 1 tsp maca powder
In a high speed blender, blend until smooth and frothy:Serve in a glass (or a mug). Pour over ice cubes. Using coffee ice cubes is recommended!
Maca Apple Strudel Smoothie
A big thanks to Myra of The Happy Health Freak for sharing this simple and very tasty healthy apple pie smoothie recipe with us!
- 1 small apple
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 medjool dates
- 2 Tbsp (about 15g) chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 2 tsp apple pie spice ~ or make your own by using 4:2:1 ratio of cinnamon:nutmeg:cardamom
- 3-4 ice cubes
Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and mix until smooth and creamy. Sip and enjoy!
Bonus tip: Make it a protein smoothie and add a scoop of vanilla protein powder or hemp seeds.
If you’ve still got questions about adding maca to your diet, we’d love to hear them! You can Contact Us using our web form, or call us toll-free at 888-919-8616.
Enjoy the day!